I’ve been struggling lately! I’ve never had seasonal allergy issues until this year, and holy cow, I see why people complain about them so much! Just one more allergy to add to my list. I get so congested and have bad sinus pressure, and Zyrtec/Claritin/etc barely do anything for me. What’s a girl to do?
I recently re-discovered my love for essential oils, and I’m never running out of them again! Lately, my ride or die has been the allergy trio- lavender, lemon, and peppermint! These three work together to knock out congestion caused by seasonal allergies. How does this work exactly? Well, lavender and lemon essential oils are anti-inflammatory and act as natural antihistamines. Since peppermint is so cooling, it helps calm the respiratory system, helping to clear mucus (which that cool feeling is amazing in this hot summer heat!). Together, they soothe your body so that it can clear that mucus and let you breath like normal!
I’m serious- I apply the three (along with a little carrier oil, which I’ll describe below) to the back of my neck, and within minutes I feel my congestion and sinus pressure begin to disappear, and I am set for the rest of the day. I might need a little more before bed, but that’s it! Crazy, right? When I take an antihistamine from the drug store, it can take 30+ minutes to start working, and it doesn’t always last the whole day for me. This trio is so clutch that I keep it in my purse at all times, since you never know when allergies may strike! Here’s my recipe:
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Lemon essential oil
- 5 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 15 drops Grapeseed oil, or other carrier oil of your choice
- 5 ml roller bottle or empty YL bottle (I used an empty Lavender bottle)
- Combine all ingredients into your roller bottle, put on the lid, and gently turn it over to mix all ingredients.
- When needed, rub on the back of your neck or your chest, and enjoy the cooling feeling of the peppermint!
That’s it! Very little effort involved, and you have yourself a winning remedy. Have you tried this before? I’d love to know your experiences in the comments!
Peace and love!